Monday, July 20, 2009

More Charleston














































The second day in Charleston was all about the homes and architecture. I walked along East Bay and East Battery taking pics of homes I loved. I wanted to see Rainbow Row and all the little details that say Charleston to me. I parked (illegally) right on the street in front of Rainbow Row. I couldn't have had a better spot. I say I parked illegally because I didn't think the street was for tourist parking. I think you had to have a resident permit to park there but I took the chance and knew I was only go to be there long enough to take pics. I also walked down to the waterfront. I was really drawn to the harbor.

The cobblestone streets really impressed me. Hard to walk on though. I got a quick impression of what it must have been like on those streets long ago.

The gentleman, Philip Simmons, whose famous ironwork on the gates around Charleston had recently died and his funeral was being held this day. His work is in the Smithsonian. I took special note of any iron gates I saw and thought about his work. I don't know if I actually saw any of his gates or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment